History

Originally our church was called “United Brethren” and was founded in Durham in 1895. The first church building was wood framed, but was replaced in 1941 by the present structure, which is a sturdy, adobe church.   United Brethren merged with the United Methodist Church in the 1970s, becoming a United Methodist Church and remains so today.

DSCN3103

Our congregation is small, but mighty.  We have been remodeling the rooms and grounds of the church for the last few years and we feel there has been a lot of progress in restoring the church for it’s congregation recently.

You are welcome to attend services at the Durham Community United Methodist Church each Sunday.  We have a social hour in our fellowship hall after Sunday services and offer refreshments.

 

TWO BEAUTIFUL NEW STAINED GLASS WINDOWS DONATED TO THE CHURCH

The family of Everett Weldin donated this inspiring stained glass window this summer in his memory. Everett Weldin was one of the men who helped pour the adobe bricks to rebuild the Church back in the 1940s and he had always wanted the Church to feature some stained glass windows. The congregation are thankful for this generous donation and we’re glad to have Mr. Weldin’s wish for stained glass come to fruition in our historic Durham church. Many thanks to the Weldin family for their thoughtfulness!
WeldinWindow
The McLeod Family of Durham sponsored a beautiful stained glass window this summer in memory of the late Mac McLeod, beloved husband, father, and grandfather. It is located in the Prayer Room of the church. Isn’t it lovely? Many thanks to Darlene McLeod and her family for this generous and thoughtful enhancement to the Church!
McLeodWindow

 

Here is a video about the history of rural United Methodist Churches in America: